4th and 5th Grade Units
Unit 1: Introduction to class
- Classroom procedures
- Teacher expectations
- Purpose of classroom stations
- The importance of accessing prior knowledge of Spanish
Unit 2: The Body, Clothing and Hispanic Heritage Month
- The impact that the Hispanic culture has had on the rest of the world.
- The meaning behind Hispanic Heritage Month
- The difference between The Day of the Dead and Halloween
- The names of body parts and clothing
- Adjective agreement when describing clothing items with colors
Unit 3: The Family and Winter Holidays
- How Christmas and Hanukah are celebrated in Spanish-speaking countries
- How to express their likes and dislikes
- The verb forms for "I" and "We"
Unit 4: SER & ESTAR (The Two Verbs "to be")
- How to express how they are feeling(emotions and health)
- How to describe themselves and others(personality and physical descriptions)
- How Hispanics celebrate Valentine's Day
- The origin of chocolate
- The migration of the Monarch butterfly
Unit 5: School Subjects with Time
- How to tell time in Spanish
- How to express when classes begin and end
- How to talk about the different areas /rooms in the school
Unit 6: The Restaurant
- The origins of certain Hispanic foods.
- How to request foods and drinks in Spanish.
- The correct way to set a table.
- The difference between a healthy and unhealthy diet.
- What activities they should do to maintain good health.
Unit 7: Our Year in Spanish
- How to describe and explain the topics discussed in Spanish class throughout the year.