Absences / Attendance
Procedures for Absences
The safety and security of our children are of paramount interest to both parents and the schools. The District’s policy requires the parent to contact the school by telephone when a child is absent or tardy. Please leave a message in the Attendance voice mail box (listed below) as soon as possible with your child’s name, grade and reason for being absent/late. If you know in advance the student will be absent more than one day, please indicate that on the message. If the student is out for more than (4) consecutive days for medical reasons, a doctor’s note is required indicating the reason for the absence and providing clearance to return to school.Coolidge (201) 848-5710, press 1
Lincoln (201) 848-5720, press 1Sicomac (201) 848-5730, press 1
Washington (201) 848-5740, press 1
Eisenhower (201) 848-5750, press 1
Excused Absence—Per Policy/Regulation 5200, a student’s absence from school for a full day or a portion of a day for the following:- Observance of a religious holiday (pursuant to NJSA 18A:36-14 through 16)
- Student’s illness supported by notification by parent
- Student’s required attendance in court
- Where appropriate, when consistent with Individualized Education Programs, the Individuals with Disabilities Act, accomodation plans under 29 USC SS794 and 705(20), and individualized health care plans
- Student’s suspension from school
- Family illness or death supported by notification by parent
- Visits to secondary educational institutions
- Necessary and unavoidable medical/dental appointments that cannot be scheduled at a time other than the school day
- Take our Children to Work Day
- Absence considered excused by a New Jersey Department of Education rule
- Absence not listed above, but deemed excused by the Principal upon a written request by the student’s parent stating the reason for the absence and requesting permission for the absence to be an excused absence.
Parents who take students on vacation while school is in session must notify the nurse and the principal in advance. District staff are not required, nor are expected to provide homework for students who are absent because of a vacation. Parents should plan vacations during scheduled breaks so as not to incur an unexcused absence.
The Wyckoff School District will respond to all unexcused absences in accordance with state law. This includes, but is not limited to: following up with the parent to investigate the nature of the unexcused absence(s); creation of an action plan to prevent further unexcused absences; and possible referral to the Intervention and Referral Services Team (I&RS). For cumulative unexcused absences of (10) or more days, the student between the ages of 6 and 16 is truant pursuant to NJSA 18A: 38-27 and the principal will make a mandatory referral to the court program required by the New Jersey Administrative Office of the Courts. Please refer to Board Policy and Regulation #5200 for more details.